Millard was convicted of first-degree murder in the death of his father, Wayne, in Toronto in 2012. On the heels of his past convictions in the 2012 death of Toronto woman Laura Babcock, and in Tim Bosma’s death one year after that, Monday’s ruling confirmed Dellen Millard’s status as a serial killer – and Mr. Maybe,” Sharlene says. Millard is likely to spend the rest of his life in prison. But while applause broke out in the courtroom on Monday over Justice Maureen Forestell’s verdict, the Toronto cases have indeed highlighted mistakes that were made and clues that were initially overlooked. Babcock had broken up earlier that year, but she was going through a rough patch, and in late June he put her and her dog up in a hotel and loaned her an iPad to use for apartment hunting. At first, he figured she was dodging him in hopes of hanging on to the iPad – but after a week, he became worried. He talked to Ms. But the 23-year-old woman had struggled with mental-health issues, and in recent months she had started working as an escort and was using drugs. As a result, her absence was not immediately alarming to her family or to the police, who had minimal concerns about foul play. She’d probably be home around Christmas, they told her mother. Lerner got a copy of Laura’s cellphone bill, which showed that the last eight calls she had made, on July 2 and 3, were to Dellen Millard. It was through Ms. They didn’t follow up with Mr. Millard replied. He pushed back, pointing out that one of the calls had lasted 20 minutes. Millard outside, reading a magazine, sipping an iced drink – and claiming to be in a rush. Millard claimed she’d gotten mixed up with the wrong crowd, and that she’d called him looking for drugs. Millard and Mr. Millard had been cheating on his girlfriend, Christina Noudga, with Ms. Noudga in a text message. Millard enlisted the help of his friend Mark Smich, a high-school dropout and small-time drug dealer who dreamed of making it as a rapper. Millard had purchased a month earlier. Millard at that Starbucks, police would later determine, the iPad he’d loaned to Ms. Her name was still on the luggage tag. 29, 2012, Dellen Millard’s father, Wayne, died. Wayne Millard, 71, was lying on his side in bed. It was only after Madeleine Burns rushed to the home that police and paramedics were summoned. It was suicide, Mr. Wayne – who had taken over the business from his own father, Carl – was trying to expand the company, and saw it as a legacy for his son. But although even the coroner acknowledged that the death appeared somewhat unusual, and even though a detective would later acknowledge that he got a “weird vibe” at the scene, the homicide unit was never brought in. Not only had the gun been purchased on the black market, they discovered, but Dellen Millard’s DNA was on the handle. Millard’s alibi the night his father died. Smich’s place back to Maple Gate Court that night. Although the police discovered that it was what’s known as a burner phone – set up under a fake name – they were able to glean from its call log that the pair had gone on a similar test drive the day before, in Toronto. Their search led them to Dellen Millard. In the view of Andrew Michalski – who had moved in with Mr. Millard was arrested. Police found the truck, which had been stripped and gutted, hidden in a car trailer parked in Mr. On May 22, Mark Smich was also charged. Millard, too, was busy reaching out to his own girlfriend. We went to say goodnight to them. Babcock then overdosed, he coached her. He ended each of his letters with an instruction to destroy them. (She would plead guilty in 2016 to the lesser charge of obstructing justice by willfully destroying evidence – wiping fingerprints from Dellen’s car trailer on the day of his arrest). Millard, alone, was additionally charged with murdering his father. Babcock had been considered a “level one” missing person – meaning there were minimal concerns about her safety – the extent of the detectives’ investigation was appropriate. The file was closed in 2015, with no finding of negligence. Many people in the LGBTQ community had long raised concerns about a potential serial killer in their midst, and they say their fears – and the disappearances – were wrongly dismissed by police. The other is that of Tess Richey, whose family found her body in a laneway last year, steps from where she’d last been seen in Toronto’s gay village, after police officers allegedly failed to do a proper canvas of the area. The report – which looked at the medical findings in those cases, not at the police investigations – was commissioned as part of the inquiry into the murders of eight senior citizens by former Ontario registered nurse Elizabeth Wettlaufer. In all, the report looked at 17 deaths. When the verdict was delivered on Monday in the Wayne Millard case, Laura Babcock’s parents, Linda and Clayton, were sitting at the front of the courtroom. But they needed to be there to ensure that someone there cared about Wayne, and about the outcome of the trial. They thanked the police and the prosecutors and anyone who had come forward to help – but did not mince words for those in Mr. Babcock said. She decided that it wouldn’t have been best for her mental or emotional health. She has moved to a new house, and, as of just weeks ago, she is remarried. In fact, Tim was the best man at Wes’s first wedding, and Wes was a groomsman at Tim and Sharlene’s. He was living out West during the Bosma trial. 8, after a short engagement, and after delivering notes to their neighbours to apologize for the noise, they held a backyard wedding at their new home. Millard will receive a consecutive – rather than concurrent – sentence for his father’s murder as well. Her goal is to move forward, ensuring, now with Wes’s help, that her daughter knows how much Tim was loved, and that he is never forgotten. And for me, I’m done."